Sunday, November 7, 2010

Family Day

Sundays are family days.  On Sundays I will be posting a story from my childhood or about something current with Jack.  I will try to include a recipe from something I would consider a "Sunday" dinner.

Today my dad came over for dinner.  It's been a while since we've seen him and he's seen Jack.  Over the summer we went to a baseball game a month.  I bought him tickets to a game each month starting with Father's Day.  They were his present from Jack.  It was the first year for the Lake County Fielders, and unfortunately it was not a good first year, but that's something you expect with a team that's just beginning.  Regardless of the outcome of the games or the season, we had an awesome time.  I did this so that I could make sure that he got out of the house and spent time with Jack.  My dad isn't a terribly social person.  If left alone I am convinced he would get up, go to work, come home, watch TV, go to bed, get up and start the cycle over again.

Anyway, something got me thinking about the day Jack got out of the hospital.  I cannot even remember what I was thinking, but I called my dad and asked him if he wanted to meet us for dinner.  Why I would take this newly released from the NICU infant to a restaurant is beyond me now, but we did.  That was a Friday. 

The next day, Saturday, my aunt Kathy came over to visit us on her way to a wedding near where we live.  My aunt, who is not particularly baby inclined, asked to hold Jack.  Still, each time she see Jack she is excited to see him and play with him.  My aunt, who never had kids, never held kids, never watched kids is absolutely in love with my son.

On Sunday, my dad came over and spent some time with Jack.  I will never forget the look on his face when he finally got to hold his grandson for the first time.  After a difficult pregnancy, an early birth, the passing of Kyle and 72 days in the NICU, my father finally held his grandchild.  It wasn't his first (I had a miscarriage before the boys were conceived) and hopefully it won't be his last (no siblings here, but I hope to give Jack another brother or sister, or two). 

Jack is named after my parents - James Patrick, get it Ja(mes Patri)ck.  Jack is a special little boy.  I still get people who randomly stop me and tell me what a beautiful child he is.  They remark about his eyes and how happy he is.  If only they knew the story that comes before that day.

So today I made a pork roast from a kit I found while grocery shopping.  It was from Tyson and it had the pork roast, veggies and seasoning all in one package (vegetable sealed separately from the veggies).  I bought it on a whim.  It was the only on and it was only $10 for a pretty sizable piece of meat.  I knew once I saw it I would call my dad and invite him over for dinner.  Good luck finding these in your supermarket.  I searched the Internet to see if Tyson had other kits like maybe a beef roast and I couldn't find them.  They're not on the Tyson web site.  If you do see a kit in your fresh meat section (that's where I found mine) buy it!  Pop it in your crock pot and enjoy an awesome fall Sunday dinner.

If you can't find it, try making your own:

4 to 5 lbs. loin end roast
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 med. onions, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 whole clove
1 c. hot water
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Rub roast with salt and pepper. make tiny slits in meat and insert slivers of garlic. In crock pot put 1 sliced onion on bottom. Add roast then remaining onion and other ingredients. Cover and cook 1 hour on high. Turn to low and cook 9 to 10 hours or until done. GRAVY: Remove roast, onions, clove and bay leaf. In separate cup or bowl, blend 2 tablespoons cold water with 2 tablespoons cornstarch to form smooth paste. Set crockpot on high and pour in paste. Stir well and let come to a boil (10 to 15 minutes) until thickened

**Personally I would add red potatoes, carrots, and a couple cans of Veg-All.

No comments:

Post a Comment