Monday, November 1, 2010

Heartbreak Joins Us

I don't know much about her.  I have never listened to her music.  But today I feel truly heartbroken and sad for Lily Allen.  You don't really need to know who she is or like her music to feel for her.  Chances are, if you have stumbled on to this blog all I have to tell you is that it was announced that Lily suffered a miscarriage six months into her pregnancy.

Lily's is a name that has stuck with me for some time - ever since it was announced in early 2008 that she had suffered a miscarriage.  I am not sure why, but this stuck with me.  I guess maybe because you don't really hear much about famous people having fertility issues or miscarriages.  In a world where people watch closely to see where Lindsey Lohan will be spending her holidays (jail, rehab, partying, or morgue) and if she'll be celebrating with Charlie Sheen, it's amazing that there is even a mention of something not remotely scandalous like a miscarriage.  I think as quickly as the miscarriage was announced, people forgot - I didn't forget.  When she got pregnant again this year there was hardly mention of the loss, in fact one article proclaimed - Lily Allen pregnant with first child.

Why do I bring this up?  Mainly because I feel so sorry for her, but also because I cannot imagine what it must be like to be faced with headlines proclaiming your body's betrayal for all the world to read.  True many of us Angel Baby mommas have blogs that we put out there for others to read and take solace in, but we don't have to face this news when opening the morning paper.

As I type this and look for more information (I am not sure why I do the later) I cannot help but think of Lily as one of us.  She was rushed to the hospital on Thursday.  Had she been planning on dressing for Halloween?  Perhaps painting her beautiful baby bump orange with triangle eyes and toothy jack-o-lantern grin?  Does she have a secret stash of Christmas presents for her son?  Cute gifts for daddy-to-be and grandparents to celebrate the new family member arriving early 2011?  Did she pray and bargain with God as she lay there too scared to even breather Thursday?  The answer to these and every question is irrelevant.  She is, again, an Angel Baby Mum.  My heart breaks for her.



I found a couple of stories mentioning a scare with this pregnancy and how she lived in fear - something all of us who have had a difficult pregnancy or have had a rainbow baby can appreciate.

From People Magazine (September 10, 2010):

“I had about a week and a half of really heavy bleeding and had to have lots of scans … I’ve been living in fear for the past three months.”

But not even health scares can deter Allen from wanting a family — a wish, she says, she’s had since childhood. “I’ve probably been saying it since I was seven!” she admits.

People Magazine (October 20, 2010):

Impending motherhood “became a lot more real” for Lily Allen when she learned the sex of her baby-on-the-way — a boy!

“You start to think of names, and then you can go shopping, and it all feels like it’s happening,” she confesses in the October issue of Stylist.

Allen feels her dreams have come true regardless the state of her career. “My goal in life is to have kids,” she insists.

“I’ve got a boyfriend I love to pieces. I’m having a baby who will hopefully be as beautiful as he is. I’ve got an amazing shop. I work with my sister and I’ve got a lovely house in the country,” she continues. “It certainly ticks all my boxes.”

Speaking late last year about her feelings following her first miscarriage, Lily admitted it was the "worst time of her life" because she repressed a lot of her emotions.
 
 
She explained: "I didn't even start beginning to deal with it until the baby's due date. Then it hit me like a house collapsing.
 
"The week before the due date, all I wanted to do was talk about my baby but I also felt I shouldn't. I was working non-stop and I had all this inside my head.

"I still get sad. I still think. I don't mark what would have been my baby's birth but it's always there. It changed a lot."

Info from web:
In September 2007, Allen began dating musician Ed Simons of the Chemical Brothers. In December 2007, Allen announced that she and Simons were expecting a child.  However, in January 2008, it was revealed that Allen had suffered a miscarriage.

Allen began dating Sam Cooper, the owner of a building company, in the summer of 2009. On 5 August 2010, Allen announced that she was pregnant with her and Cooper's first child, later confirmed to be a boy due early in 2011.  Allen's pregnancy involved early complications, including "about a week and a half of really heavy bleeding", leading her to tell The Sunday Times in September 2010 that she had "been living in fear for the past three months".  On 1 November 2010, Allen's publicist announced that the singer had suffered a second miscarriage, approximately six months into her pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment